Yielding to the call of pastoral ministry in September of 1989, the Greater True Light Tabernacle Church of God In Christ (GTLT) was organized. There were five adults and five children, including Pastor and Sister Henry L. Knight. Three others joined making it a total of 13 people for our first Sunday service. Because of the leadership, the GTLT has grown to the point of being a beacon of light in the South Los Angeles (Historic South Central) Community.
Pastor Knight and His wife portrayed the same warm and friendly spirit in their church. Pastor Knight stated, “The purpose is to lead any unsaved person to the saving grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We want everyone that comes to visit us feel loved and welcomed.” The motto is, “This is the church where everybody is somebody and Christ is supreme.” The service is expressive where everyone can participate. This means, you can clap your hands, dance in the spirit, sing praises unto God, share your testimonies of God’s blessings, and to give your tithes and offering. Members and friends can participate in the various ministries of the church such as: Sunday school, Bible study, the choir, the youth department, the usher board, evangelism ministry and mission ministry. The evangelism ministry is based on the Great Commission found in Matthew 28:20.
The mission ministry was developed by First Lady Knight. She reached out to those who have had unfortunate circumstances in their lives. She provided food, clothing and legal services to those who needed it: and provide referrals to those that needed shelter in South Los Angeles. Because of this ministry, GTLT was able to collaborate with other agencies and ministries such as: People Helping People and the Los Angeles Rescue Mission. The church has participated in global efforts such as: Feed The Children; West Angeles COGIC mission department by sending toys to children in Africa; partnering with World Vision to assist children and youth with needed school supplies; Trinity Broadcasting Network’s Smile of a Child by providing toys to children during Christmas; sending food to hungry families in Haiti; sending clothing and food to the Republic of Kosovo; providing care packages and clothing to the victims of Hurricane Katrina & Rita; and providing truckloads of clothing, furniture, and food to the Salvation Army.
One of the goals of the church is to ensure that the youth are able to receive a college education. In 2009, the GTLT became a GREEN church. God gave man dominion over all the earth in Genesis 1:26-28, Psalms 8. It is up to man to maintain it and not abuse it. The Youth Department took the leadership and encouraged the congregation to recycle plastic bottles. The effort has raised awareness in the congregation about how plastic bottles are destroying the earth. But more importantly, the youth are placing the monies received from recycling in a scholarship fund that will support students who will need support in purchasing textbooks in college. The mission of GTLT is to provide children and youth with the character building tools such as: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control; in order to become responsible contributing adults in our society. Also, to teach them the tools of coping by relying on their faith, even in the mist of the violence found in their neighborhoods and schools.
Pastor Knight stated, “we may be small but we can do all things through Christ which strengthens us” (Philippians 4:13).
Our Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired and only infallible written Word of God.
- We believe that there is One God, eternally existent in three Persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the Blessed Hope, which is the rapture of the Church of God, which is in Christ at His return.
- We believe that the only means of being cleansed from sin, is through repentance and faith in the precious Blood of Jesus Christ.
- We believe that regeneration by the Holy Ghost is absolutely essential for personal salvation.
- We believe that redemptive work of Christ on the cross provides healing for the human body in answer to believing in prayer.
- We believe that the Baptism in the Holy Ghost, according to Acts 2:4, is given to believers who ask for Him.
- We believe in the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling, the Christian is enabled to live a Holy and separated life in this present world. Amen.